Sunday, March 09, 2008

Experimentation


If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

--Albert Einstein



Lately (well for a couple of months now), I've been in a state of experimentation. Every morning, I study the idea of getting out of bed. I don't go blindly into the experiment. I don't believe in running about willy nilly (as they'd say) and jumping off of cliffs without ropes on the chance that someone will catch me. No, I weigh it out, pros/cons, factor in the possible outcomes, and what I learned when I performed the experiment the day before (hence the Einstein quote above.)

See, I've been depressed. Now, that's not a diagnosis, just a knowledge that I have. And every day, simply opening my eyes is an experiment in living. I've not gotten so low as to not want to extend the experiment for a long while, but I have wondered about bothering with that day. Yesterday was like that. I got out of bed, had some coffee, walked The WonderDog, checked email and went back to bed. It was mid-afternoon before I bothered dressing and running to the store for food (yes, the grocery fairy had skipped me again. I guess I need to talk to her boss.). I had plans last night, but I begged off. I couldn't convince myself to risk leaving the house again. I really hate that.

What gets me up is knowing I have to go to work. I enjoy my work, so I often forget I'm experimenting. But then I come home, put on my pjs and go to bed. At 5 pm. The poor WonderDog hates it. I don't play, I don't love on him. He's his own island. Not good for a puppy dog. But he's been good, he tries so hard to take care of me, resigning himself to sleep all day on a pretty Saturday, rather than play in the yard.

Now, I know that some of what I've said (i.e. opening my eyes is an experiment in living) is really a commentary of the human condition and life anyway. But I also know that I've never felt like that before. I've felt listless before, but never felt like faking it was so exhausting (and, some days, so pointless). There's a part of me that wonders if I shouldn't go find some tools until I get back on my feet, and off of my face, but I can't even start entertaining that notion right now. It means leaving the house for something other than a dire necessity or work.

And you know what really hurts? The people who I think know me best have no idea. I'm not sure if that's a sign of amazing coping/acting skills or if that means they don't really know me.

For more thoughts on experimenting and experimentation, visit Sunday Scribblings this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ONly we can get over our depression. No one can help us. I have been there, done that.

Refluxing Life

Shammi said...

I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad you havent thought about ending the experiment.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I think that all too often, our friends notice but feel powerless to do anything that'll make a significant change. And so, feeling powerless, they don't make an effort.

Hang in there. Depression sucks, but there IS hope -- and people who care. You'd be surprised how the little efforts people go to can have the biggest impact.

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

I've been there...I hope you'll feel better soon. I have the Ten Things Tuesday up with a Mr. Linky. Come join in - sometimes it's good to write out just the simplest things you're thankful for in life!